It was great to get back to art group last night after a very long Christmas break.

I decided to follow on my theme of body parts and attempted an eye in acrylic. I think it turned out ok and I particularly like the highlights that make it look glossy.

I am not sure about which body part to do next on my quest to create a massive collage.

Thanks for looking.


My picture this week is a bit different. I fancied doing something dramatic and this image seems to fit the bill. It was painted in acrylics and took under an hour to complete. I think I will have to paint the rest of the young lady in parts over the coming weeks Smile

Thanks for looking….


At the end of Art Class this week I had a bit of time to use up some paints. The result is this ten minute watercolour sketch of a random person.
I have not used watercolours for a while and I did enjoy painting this. Much different from my acrylic portraits.

Thanks for looking.

This week at Art Class I wanted to try and repeat the success I felt after my Acrylic painting of Marilyn Monroe. I chose a face opposite to hers, basically an old man.
I must admit to being happy with the result which was done in less than an hour. I can see me doing more of these in the future.

As ever….Thanks for looking

This week I had a go at a full landscape in acrylic paints. I must admit that I found this quite difficult as it is harder to blend colours in acrylic and this effort turned out a bit like a painting by numbers picture. I do like painting in acrylics for portraits and animals but after this first attempt I do think I will paint landscapes in watercolour in future. However I have decided to put all my efforts on the blog so I can track progress and learn from mistakes. The modelling paste used to add texture to the mountains seems to have worked quite well though and I hope to use it again.

As ever…thanks for looking.

seven sisters2

Painted this field of poppies at art group the other night. I know it it posted a bit late but it is my contribution to Armistice Day.

As a painting I like the foreground and the background but the middle distance is a bit ‘mushy’. Overall though I am quite happy with the way my acrylic painting is going.

As every…thanks for looking.


This is my first attempt at a portrait using acrylic paints and I must say that I am quite pleased with it. As acrylics dry so quickly, I found it difficult to get soft shadows in places and this can be seen on the hard spot on the shoulder. However the mouth and eyes seem to draw your attention from this and you don’t notice these shadows immediately.

Portraits are an area I would like to get into and this has spurred me on.
As ever.. Thanks for looking.


This week at Art group we were told we were to make a mess. I am not that into messy stuff but I did enjoy doing the abstract painting. The idea was to create a background using two colours plus white and black. After we created our mess we needed to look at the painting and create something from it. My background looked wintery and the mountains seemed to spring from the page. I think it turned out ok, and it was a real departure from my normal stuff.

Once this was done I had a go at a swan with three signets. The main reason for doing this was to try and get a realistic water effect. I enjoyed this picture and it did turn out quite well. Some of the darks may need to be darker, but on the whole I am happy.



This is the latest painting on my journey to get to grips with Acrylics. I am really enjoying the fact that areas can be reworked as this was done on this painting in spades. The left hand wall had a lot of really badly painted shadows and it was great to be able to overpaint the white and make the whole picture less busy.

The actual painting does look much better than this image. The shadows near the door have been washed out in the photographic process.

Thanks for looking.

I have been toying with the prospect of painting a colourful tree frog for a while, but was a bit afraid to try it in watercolours. However as I am trying out acrylics this term it seemed the time to give it a try. I am pleased with the resulting painting. It took just over an hour to complete, the problem was knowing when to stop. Tinkering about with a painting has been my downfall in the past but the good thing about acrylics is the tinkering is easier to hide.

As ever thanks again for looking.